Saturday, January 2, 2010

Addiction is bondage...

-Mosiah 29:20
But behold, he did deliver them because they did humble themselves before him; and because they cried mightily unto him he did deliver them out of bondage; and thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases among the children of men, extending the arm of mercy towards them that put their trust in him.


Being fat is bondage. It is a prison that I pack with me every where I go. It is there before my face, introducing me to the world. Before anyone knows one quality of my soul, they know I am addicted. They see first the addict. With this constant shame before me, I look for deliverance – not the eventual kind, but the instant kind. I cannot step out of this prison instantly. It is a long journey. Standing at the beginning I see only this very tall mountain with a rocky, winding, briar strewn path. The quitter in me says, “It’s too hard…..I can’t do it.” The parent in me says, “Yes you can. Look up and see who is willing and eager to walk this path with you.” Aha! My partner is no quitter! He never sleeps; he never complains; he never sloughs his share of the load. I am really lucky that I got this partner. He has traveled this path so many times with so many others, he can do it perfectly! He is enthusiastic and excited that I’m going with him. He has the resolution to every single challenge we face. It almost seems ‘too easy’ for him. It doesn’t matter. He honestly wants to be my partner and to season me, and teach me, and help me up when I stumble.

-Matt 11:29-30
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. I have already copied down some of your scriptures. It helps me to remember that all things are possible only through Heavenly Father. I think it is easy for me to try and take things on on my own. What I really need is to ask and do my part. There is a sign hanging in my home that says "When life gets too hard to stand, kneel." Love you-Ginny