Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mistakes as Teachers...

Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Bonnie gave me a book for my birthday, “Weakness is Not Sin” by Wendy Ulrich, PH.D.
I didn’t read it right away because I am reading a pile of books at once – always—

What weakness is it that drives my compulsion to eat? I have spent much time and money trying to solve this puzzle. My therapist tells me it is the one comfort, indulgence, and escape that I allow myself. The next obvious question would be why do I ‘constantly’ need comfort, indulgence, and escape. Still working on that one…If you have insight…feel free to share!

I realize that this compulsion is a weakness. I understand that weakness actually comes from God. I also see that my own inability to ‘overcome’ this particular weakness has turned me to him. Aha! I have reached the humble stage of this process.

Of Course I have sought the help of Heaven in my past diets. I have received priesthood blessings and have prayed. I have wondered why my prayers were not answered. I see now they were answered. It is much like me when I watch our babies taking their first steps. I applaud their efforts and cheer them on, even when they fall. It is part of the successive approximation. Each time they fall (fail) there is something learned going on. It is all part of the success formula. We only fail when we fail to try.

So I am in the preparation stage of this attempt at ‘walking’. This New Year starts with a fast Sunday. I will fast that I might know Father’s will for me. I am working on being more in-tune with the spirit.

Talk to you tomorrow…

No comments: